Wednesday 30 March 2016

Love, floating away


What: Love heart balloon
Where: Bathgate
When: 28th of March 2016
With: Nikon D3300

It was my wife's birthday at the beginning of March and to celebrate I bought some helium balloons. I assumed that they would be long gone by now but they are proving me wrong. The main balloon is still going strong and showing no sign of giving up the ghost, even as it approaches its own one month birthday. 

The love heart balloon was less successful and at the start of the week it was beginning to be pulled down by the strength of its own ribbon. With my wife's birthday long gone and three more birthdays, including my own, having passed I felt that I should liberate the balloon and send it on one final journey. 

Like most liberations there was an ulterior motive. I was intriqued by the challange of capturing the balloon as it floated away and enjoyed the symbolism of the fragility of love in any potential photograph. 

So I cut the ribbon and headed outside with my Nikon D33oo and my 55-200mm lens. 

As this was Scotland there was the wind to contend with, so I made sure it was behind me and that the balloon would be going in the right direction from where I was standing. 

I managed to caputre three good shots that I'm sharing today - the other two are below. I like the vivid colours in the one above and played about in the edit suite with the ones below. Without photoshop though what I can do is limited.

I'm also fighting the urge to do a post on the fickle nature of love in a modern materalistic society and the increasing belief from some that love is something to be found, like a disney fairytail, rather than something that is worked on. Put it this way, I cut the strings, let love go and it didn't come back. In fact it was heading in the direction of Edinburgh and then Denmark.

Memes are not relationship counselling.

p.s. Do not fear, the photo does not symbolise my marriage, which, thankfully is still going strong....right?





No comments:

Post a Comment